Saturday 20 March 2021

Sailing in a sky of dreams ...

HELLLOOOOOO Welcome.
I'm Andy, a bonkers tie-dye welsh lass. 
I'm so excited and happy to be on this new and exciting journey, squealing with joy along with all the gang. 

I am looking forward to sharing with you my take on Tracy's wonderful Wee Ones and the Fabulous Girls as the time goes on. Xx

Today I would like to share with you Betsy Bottoms sailing in a sky of dreams. Xx

Materials  ~
1 MDF Tag
1 sheet of Ciao Bella Moon and Me Paper
Versimark 
WOW Iridium Embossing Glitter
Pebeo Antique Gold gilding wax
PVA
Silicone Glue for 3D 
Watercolours of your Choice.
Dr Ph Martin Bleed proof white.

The Mdf Tag I have used is an oversized 3.75" x 7.5" tag that was picked up at a show.  However, you can use any tag you have your eyes on. 
The tag was given a light coat of 50/50 PVA solution, which was also applied to the back of the Moon and Me paper that I had already cut to shape before I started. 
Once this is placed and lined up, I firm it down and get out any air bubbles.  Then, to protect the surface, I paint over the top with the same PVA solution and set it aside to dry.
The next step is to stamp out wee Betsy.  I tend to stamp with grey or Inkon3 fade out ink as the lines and the colours all blend beautifully.  This is then fussy cut.
I really love giving my pieces a little dimension and form, so once cut (but before painting)I put some shaping into the paper.  I spray a little water to the back of the fussy cut and damp it down to make it easier to manipulate. Then, on a foam pad using the end of a chunky paintbrush (ball tools if you have them), I give the clouds some curve and volume, and curve the boat. The sail and net are given some kinks and ripples so that they also have dimension and movement. 
Next step is the painting of our wee Betsy.  Most of my painting is done wet on wet (wet paint onto a wet surface) so that the paint bleeds and blends on its own, layering from light to dark

So while Betsy is drying, it's onto the Embossing.  This will just lift and give some additional interest to the background.  
On this example I have used Wow Iridium Glitter and soul symbols.  After dusting the tag off with antistatic bag, the symbols have been stamped randomly around the tag.  Sprinkle with the powder, remove the excess and heat. 
This is where I found out I had to be more patient.  It takes longer to melt the powder on MDF, and MDF gets very hot.  Once done, you have your shiny glittery soul symbols.  
Lastly, before attaching Betsy on her travels I added some white highlights to the ladder and went around the edges of the tag with Pebeo Gilding wax to finish it. 

Then its time to sail Betsy in her Sky of Dreams. To support her and the shaping that has been put into the paper I attach it with Pinflair silicone glue gel and leave to dry. 

If you dont yet have wee Betsy or the soul whispers, pop along to Tracy's Etsy shop

17 comments:

Tracey T said...

Oh the fun Betsy's having. Love your tag, and the fact you shape before painting, think I'll try that way, and the gold embossing really makes it pop 🐭❤

fame01 said...

absolutely breath taking so lovely ..brilliant first DT post congrats lovely welsh lady loves ya to the moon ..hugs sarah xxxx

Karen Rowe said...

Beautiful I love the idea of shaping and will try this out. Betsy looks great sailing towards the moon. What a lovely keepsake

Tracy said...

A joy to see this morning Andrea πŸ’›πŸ­πŸ’› I can hear how happppy Wee Betsy🐭is from here ... gigglin away happy as can be up up and away ... now I have lots of wee ones pointing at the screen going "me next" "I wanna goooo" offering up chocolate raisins for a go! Thank you from the heart Andy ❤πŸ’›❤πŸ’›❤πŸ’›

Andy Turner said...

Thank you. Xxx have fun xxxx hugs

Andy Turner said...

Thankies lovely. Xxx huge hugs.

Sharon said...

Gorgeous tag project and a great tutorial xxx

Andy Turner said...

Just agentle mist of water and then when it dries it holds the shape beautifully. Xxxx

Andy Turner said...

Thankyou beautiful lady. Xxx they had better have plentyfor her horde. But to before she does wait till they have all finished theirs and then share. Xxxx love n hugs. ❤

Andy Turner said...

Thank you. Lovely. Xxx

Rosanna said...

Complimenti Andy per questa bellissima e romantica tag. Adoro come hai realizzato la luna,e tutta la romantica scena che hai creato. Adorabile lavoro.

Canne said...

Fabulous tag, great tut.

Anne said...

That's adorable, so many lovely details and a great tutorial
Anne xx

Andy Turner said...

Thankbyou lovely. Xxc

Andy Turner said...

Thank you. 😊 xxx

Andy Turner said...

Thank you lovely 😍. Xx

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous love it